CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Maraming Salamat, Ateneo.



As I start counting my lasts at the Ateneo, I could not help but look at the past with utmost joy and gratitude. For almost four years (8 including high school), I’ve been exposed to a lot of life changing events, quarrels, friendships, arguments, reconciliation and conversations from the different members of the Ateneo community. The 4 long, challenging and memorable years have been very dynamic.


And tonight, I would like to personally dedicate this award to the people who touched me and contributed to what and who I am today. First, to Fr. Joel – I met Fr. Joel when I was still at the Ateneo High. Just like what he has been defined during his farewell party, indeed, he is the personification of friendship. He’s been very supportive and understanding, compassionate and giving, trustful and loving. He inspired me to love and to love more. From my most corny stories to the heaviest struggles he would tirelessly listen, from minutes of conversation to more than an hour of laughter and tears he would standby. With Fr. Joel, I found a father. As I fondly call him, Dad has been one of the few who courageously lifted me up when I was falling.

Second is to the College Guidance Center. This center gave a face to a true family. I volunteered to this center with a very big head saying – ma-shine ako sa center na ini. Yes, they let me shine not only to the Ateneo community - kahit na sa labas. They let me hone my skills in facilitating, organizing, peer counseling, motivating, encouraging, shouting, loving and crying. The center let me shine together with individuals – brave enough and very open to be hurt and to bleed in the name of service. This center changed my perspective in shining to loving – from leading to volunteering. In this center, I fully embraced my calling – to become a volunteer of life for life.


Third is to the Supreme Student Government. This family has been the one who is fond of letting me cry. Aside from giving me numerous connections to different and beautiful people – it also opened me to a lot of realistic happenings.  Beyond the criticisms and misunderstanding about the people who are in the government, I hope that the community could see future leaders who are in need of aid and help. I also hope that the members of this government both incoming and outgoing fully embrace this need of aid from people who are learned so that they could fully grow as leaders. The SSG is not just limited to the fight against Tuition Fee Increase, nor being fully engrossed with socio-political issues of our society. The SSG is an opportunity for student leaders to touch lives for them to touch the lives of others too. SSG is about leadership deeply rooted to our Ignatian spirituality. May this community be filled with depth. SSG isn’t about bangayan, kung sino ang magaling o kung sino ang tama. SSG is an avenue for student leaders to collaborate - to form a very powerful alliance to make positive changes to the Ateneo community and beyond. May our hearts be filled with activism to love, to understand, to comprehend, to trust, to be open, to be mature, to be independent, to form. As I tirelessly remind our students – we are not politicians, we are leaders.


Sooner or later, I will be graduating (hopefully this October). With the few remaining months of my stay, I would like to go back to the first day of my stay at the Ateneo (during my ORSEM days). Ateneo is  a community with an overwhelming number of great men and women. From the most influential and moving leaders like Maam Becky, Maam Janet, Kuya Ruffy, Atty. Rose, Maam Belen etc. to the most humble and touching staff and janitors like Kuya Migz and Mang Jason.
I know I am not a good example of a student who could really balance academics and extra-curricular activities. I am also not the one who could really show an excellent transcript of records. But when I leave the Ateneo, I will be proud to show everyone that beyond my grades, I felt that I am with people who are passionate and well rounded. That during the times when I’m being tested and challenged there are people who understand and who cared to show their love and support. May this remind the Ateneo that there are students who may not be excelling academically but is worth the recognition of touching the hand of our Fr. President. There are students who need support and guidance.
Eventually, I know Ateneo would understand why I have to leave. Ateneo gave me a lot not to pay forward these to the society. Eventually, I might take up Masters in Social Psychology, be a JVP or accept the offers of a number of NGOs to become a social worker. More than these opportunities, one thing is clear, I might be stepping out of the Ateneo but I’m bringing a bag full of learning, motivation and passion to share to a lot of people who will eventually do the same.


Katulad nga ng sinasabi ko, patuloy na magmahal at magtaya. Thanks for the very exciting ride, Ateneo. Thanks for the recognition, Ateneo de Naga University – Supreme Student Government.



Gawad Natataning Student Volunteer
Gawad SSG
  

0 pintura:

Post a Comment